Hubert H. Lim, Ph.D.
Institute for Translational Neuroscience Scholar
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
Director of SONIC Lab
Chief Scientific Officer
Neuromod Devices Limited - link
Chief Scientific Officer
SecondWave Systems - link
The goal of the lab is to push the development and translation of neural interfaces and medical technologies from scientific concept into clinical application with close collaboration with clinicians and industry. Initial medical applications focus on treating hearing loss, tinnitus and pain. We utilize a range of invasive and noninvasive technologies and approaches including electrical stimulation, ultrasound imaging and stimulation, EEG, and invasive neural recordings in animals and humans to rapidly push technology into the clinical and consumer realm. All projects in the lab follow the translational process depicted in the schematic below. The lab consists of both animal facilities and human testing space to perform proof-of-concept experiments that can then be developed and tested in pilot human studies, followed by further scientific and translational research to achieve confirmatory clinical trials and commercialization.
The SONIC Lab is pursuing a range of neural engineering and clinical topics. Please click on the images below for further details on each project.
Please click on research image for further details
- 07/20 - Incredible new paper coming from our lab that has recently been submitted for publication. Checkout this preprint on using ultrasound to reduce inflammation, and potentially use this technology for the treatment of COVID-19.
- 06/20 - Research between SONIC Lab and SecondWave Systems may prove effective in a noninvasive treatment for COVID-19. Check out an exciting article on how the SONIC Lab is helping combat the pandemic.
- 03/20 - Congratulations to our lab members Indy Sondh and Abby Heiller for both being awarded the NRT Training Fellowship! This incredible opportunity will allow them to collaborate with members from a large community in the field of sensory loss.
- 03/20 - Check out this incredible bio from the College of Science and Engineering of Claire Kaiser! The article highlights Claire's experience as a grad student while working with SecondWave.
- 01/20 - The SONIC Lab presented research on ultrasound hearing, the auditory nerve implant, and ultrasound safety at the ARO MidWinter meeting.
- 01/20 - Congratulations to Abby Heiller for being awarded the NRT travel award to support her travels to the ARO MidWinter Meeting!