Hubert H. Lim, Ph.D.
Institute for Translational Neuroscience Scholar
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
Director of SONIC Lab
Chief Scientific Officer
Neuromod Devices Limited - link
The goal of the lab is to push the development and translation of neural interfaces and medical technologies from scientific concept into clinical application with close collaboration with clinicians and industry. Initial medical applications focus on treating hearing loss, tinnitus and pain. We utilize a range of invasive and noninvasive technologies and approaches including electrical stimulation, ultrasound imaging and stimulation, EEG, and invasive neural recordings in animals and humans to rapidly push technology into the clinical and consumer realm. All projects in the lab follow the translational process depicted in the schematic below. The lab consists of both animal facilities and human testing space to perform proof-of-concept experiments that can then be developed and tested in pilot human studies, followed by further scientific and translational research to achieve confirmatory clinical trials and commercialization.
The SONIC Lab is pursuing a range of neural engineering and clinical topics. Please click on the images below for further details on each project.
Please click on research image for further details
- 5/25 - New article published in The Scientist highlighting our recent discoveries published in Neuron!
- 5/25 - Congratulations to Hongsun et al. and our Caltech colleagues for having their work published in Neuron! Read our lab’s paper and our colleague’s paper to learn about the auditory effect caused by ultrasound stimulation.
- 1/18 - Congratulations SONIC Lab for the new DARPA ElectRx grant to pursue a clinical trial evaluating ultrasound neuromodulation of the spleen to treat rheumatoid arthritis in collaboration with Dr. Erik Peterson's team in the Division of Rheumatic and Autoimmune Diseases in the Medical School.
- 1/18 - Congratulations SONIC Lab for recently being awarded a DARPA Phase II grant to pursue ultrasound neuromodulation of the immune system for pain treatment with Medtronic (Dr. Sara Offutt's team) and Dr. Bryce Binstadt's lab (Pediatric Rheumatology)
- 12/17 - We welcome two new graduate student members to the SONIC lab, Abby Heiller and Claire Kaiser!
- 12/17 - We welcome a new undergraduate student member to the SONIC lab, James Kerber, who will work with John on ultrasound hearing technologies.
- 11/17 - We welcome a new high school student member to the SONIC lab, Aditya Satish, who will work with Yezih on testing our mSync treatment for tinnitus patients.
- 9/17 - Dr. Lim serves as new Chief Scientific Oficer at Neuromod Devices in Dublin, Ireland!
- 9/17 - National Science Foundation funds our "NRT Graduate Training Program in Sensory Science: Optimizing the Information for Mind and Brain" led by Dr. Victoria Interrante and affiliated with CCS and CATSS.